Top 5 Reasons to Take a Barre Class before Running the 5k Foam Fest
Obstacle races are definitely a fun way to get out, have fun, and stay active. But preparing for them often leaves people stumped. How do you train for something that involves running, climbing over walls, and crawling through mud?
While there are many different training techniques and prep programs, here’s 5 reasons why we feel a barre class is a great way to prep for getting filthy clean:
1. Barre workouts are high intensity and low impact. For those unfamiliar with barre workouts, they’re basically an hour long, full body workout combining exercises from ballet, pilates, sports conditioning, and stretching. This type of workout is perfect for someone looking to prevent injury while training for a 5k. The high intensity will help you build the stamina and strength needed to conquer obstacles throughout the course, without the risk of injury that other high impact workouts provide.
2. They help with upper body strength. When you’re facing your first set of 8 foot walls on the course, you’ll want to make sure you have the strength and stamina to climb up and over. Most barre workouts incorporate some light weights to help with building and maintaining upper body strength. Not only will this help on the course, but it’s a great way to achieve those toned, sexy arms we all want!
3. They help work out those inner thighs. At the Foam Fest you’ll be using your legs a lot! From running to leaping over those 5 foot walls, leg strength and endurance is a must. Most barre classes offer an “Inner Thigh Intensive” class that will get your thighs in mud run shape!
4. They build core strength, flexibility, and endurance. Core strength and flexibility will both come in handy conquering some of the obstacles on the course. And with 3.1 miles of trail in front of you, endurance is a definite must!
5. You’ll make friends with similar fitness goals. One of the first things we’ve learned about fitness in general is that it’s funner to do with friends! Whether you’re facing the 50 foot slip n’ slide or sweating it out in the gym to get rid of the baby weight, it’s super helpful to have someone at your side to give you motivation when you need an extra push.
So before your next Foam Fest, get out to a barre class and try it out. You’ll definitely get a workout, and you might also find some new friends as willing as you are to dive face first into foam!